(Sorry about the lateness, I have spent most of the last 3 weeks with a nasty head cold and chest infection.)
Sermon notes are below the video.
Finding the truth can be a very difficult thing sometimes. Often we are blinded by the images around us, are tainted by the various forms of groupthink that try to set our identity. When we start living out the truth, the guardians of the groupthink will come after us with questions, especially when we step away from the power centers. John the Baptist preached from the outskirts and when the political leaders of his people came to see if he could be used, they found instead the truth.
19 This is the testimony given by John when the Jews sent priests and Levites from Jerusalem to ask him, “Who are you?” 20 He confessed and did not deny it, but confessed, “I am not the Messiah.”[g] 21 And they asked him, “What then? Are you Elijah?” He said, “I am not.” “Are you the prophet?” He answered, “No.” 22 Then they said to him, “Who are you? Let us have an answer for those who sent us. What do you say about yourself?” 23 He said, “I am the voice of one crying out in the wilderness, ‘Make straight the way of the Lord,’” as the prophet Isaiah said. 24 Now they had been sent from the Pharisees. 25 They asked him, “Why then are you baptizing if you are neither the Messiah,[h] nor Elijah, nor the prophet?” 26 John answered them, “I baptize with water. Among you stands one whom you do not know, 27 the one who is coming after me; I am not worthy to untie the thong of his sandal.” 28 This took place in Bethany across the Jordan where John was baptizing. John 1:19-28
- Who are the “Jews” in John?
- Questioning identity from power. Underlying questions.
- The kingmakers had come to see if John could be manipulated.
- I am not the one that can save. Important truth for us to remember. People want someone else to take responsibility.
- I am not someone from the past. John was fully engaged in the present and wasn’t going to let those in power pigeonhole him into the mold of someone who came before.
- I am not the prophet. Nuance: “a” vs. “the” Flattery and manipulation are a tool of those in the center of societal power.
- The voice in the wilderness “Make straight the way of the Lord.”
- John’s locating himself in the wilderness kept him from the temptation to go along with the status quo.
- If you don’t have the qualifications that come from our understanding, by what authority do you do x?
- Truth is found in a humble place, away from the centers of human power and greatness.
- In the centers of human power and greatness authority, power, truth, etc is used to promote self over others.
- John points to the one true God and doesn’t exalt himself but shares the truth with humility.
- We, like John the Baptist, are called to point to Jesus, to clear the path so that others can approach the Lord. As we enter into open worship…